Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joe_mn

Lowes door-discontinued

joe_mn
17 years ago

I am cheap. I have a house with an tuck under garage and 2 9X7 flush-foam core doors w/tension springs. Lowes carries Dalton doors and the store by me has 2 left at 1/2 price. It is the 8000 model which is not insulated and has tension springs. I live in MN and my garage stays fairly warm from the house heat. I like the price ($115)but wonder about the heat loss? will the door be noisier than what i have now? 30 yr old doors. i think the openers make more racket than the doors. should i spend more and get torsion springs?

Comments (5)

• ron6519
    17 years ago

It's the hollow sound of the uninsulated doors that makes the noise, not the springs. I don't think putting uninsulated garage doors in an attached garage , in your locale makes any sense. The initial saving will be eaten up with fuel costs. As an aside, if your garage is warm due to house heat ,you need to find out why. Sounds like an insulation issue.
    Ron

• joe_mn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

the garage is sheetrocked per code. both side walls are on outside walls and are insulated so any heat it gets from the house usually is trapped so it is usually above freezing in the winter but not "warm". i don't know if torsion springs are more common now days or if extension springs are still used. maybe there is a reason Lowes is dropping this model. the door is usually $230. what kind of door can you get for that price? add insulation like the 8100 and the price goes up $75. than add torsion springs. add another $75. thats why there are good, better, and best model lines.

• doorguy06
    17 years ago

Torsion springs are the most common and they will make ALOT OF NOISE if they are not lubricated. Surface rust will built up on them and as they undwind they will pop making an awfull lot of noise. I personally do not like Wayne Dalton doors are any door you can buy from home depot even Clopay. They all seem to be made as cheap as possible and do not last.

For the size doors you are looking for extension will work, however I personally like torsion. It exterts equal force to both sides of the door and is a safer system. The extension springs if not set correctly will cause your door to walk or hobble side to side when going down.
    Look at the R- Value on the doors and see what they are rated at. For what your wanting something around a 6-8 R-value will be sufficient. Is the $230 the price installed or just for purchasing. If it is installed you won't beat that price. IF it is just the cost of the door, it is actually higher than what most door companies can buy a similar door for.

I would get some bids and go with a local door company.

• bluewidgeon
    17 years ago

The Door Model that you need in your area and the location of your Garage is the Wayne-Dalton Model 9600. It has an R Value of 10 and is a 3 layer Door. There is nothing wrong with the Wayne-Dalton Door but there are various levels of Models that all Manufacturers carry. The 8000 is a contractors grade (cheap) is only good for detached unheated Garages.
    I agree with the post on calling reputable dealers (3 bids) in the area and matching your quotes with "apples to apples" models between manufacturers.

• tornadoman
    17 years ago

Im a private contractor and I instal doors and windows for Lowes.I firmly believe that money saved in the long run wil pay for any extra cost spent on better insulated doors is wise.