Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage Concrete Cracks

Posted by vinudev_liny (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 6, 06 at 13:04

Hi! We are looking at buying a house with an attached one car garage. The garage has a concrete layer about a foot high on all the sides(except for the door) over which the rest of the wooden structure is anchored. There are some diagonal cracks(about 1/2 inch wide) in the concrete around the door from the ground to about 8 inches in height . We didn't notice any cracks in the floor or walls of the garage or in the house foundation.
My question is this a problem with foundation of the garage? If fixed, is it likely to recur? Do you have any adivce on how it should be fixed.
Does anybody have any experience with this?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage Concrete Cracks

my garage sits up on concrete blocks, is yours on blocks or poured concrete?, i have several cracks at mortor joints, that i have repaired with new mortor, figured it was just from the normal settling due to season weater changes.

o
RE: Garage Concrete Cracks - keyway

I am having a 24x30' garage concrete floor installed. They will be using a keyway when the slab is poured which is suppose to prevent it from cracking. Anyone know this process. Can the keyways be taken up and reused or should they be left in the concrete? How expensive are these keyways. How many should be used in this project? How far agart? The concrete supplier is closed today or else I would ask them. :-)
Of course I have to have the garage inspected before the slab is installed. Any concrete experts out there?
Thanks for your help.

o

ours is slab w/numerous cracks 2ndary to a huge oak tree right nearby

o

Toad:

In concrete work, keyways are used to structurally lock together two adjacent pieces of concrete that cannot be poured at the same time for whatever reason. The keyway form can be something as simple as a 2x4 laid down the center of a foundation footer form, to create a trough in the middle of the footer, so that when the stemwall is poured later it is "keyed" into the footer and cannot shift laterally. After the pour has cured sufficiently to hold its shape, the keyway form is removed before the second piece of concrete is poured.

Does this work include new stemwalls? If so then I can see how your contractor would want to use keyways.

Keyways are not used to control cracking in slabs. This is done in a variety of ways: control joints, expansion joints, steel matting, and fiber-reinforced concrete.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here