Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage/Shop Heaters?

Posted by kensocal (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 14, 08 at 12:51

I have a 576 sq. ft. shop under my garage with cement walls, 10' seiling, one window and double walk out doors. I have a natural gas hookup and a virtical 4" vent in place. I was looking for remendations on heater types, brands, and output?

Any experiance with these heaters is appreciated. Do they heat fairly quickly? Do they cost a lot to run, do they draw much power? Do I need a dedicated power source?
Thanks,

Ken
(by the way I am from SoCal but currently live in Northern Utah)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage/Shop Heaters?

I have a wall mounted, direct vent, closed combustion, propane gas heater made by Empire that works like a champ. They make them for natural gas as well. It has a blower and a common wall mounted thermostat. The vent goes horizontally out a wall, but they may have a vertical mount vent version. The vent pipe is made with one smaller pipe inside a larger one, so one is used for exhaust and the other used for combustion air. The best part is that it is CLOSED combustion, meaning that the air used to burn the fuel comes from outside, not inside where you may have combustible dust, or worse, volatile organic compounds found in most wood finishes and solvents, which are known carcinogins when burned. These units are easy to install and cost about $800.

o
RE: Garage/Shop Heaters?

Thanks for the response. I just ended up getting a Mr. Heater 45K BTU NG direct vent unit from ebay for just less that $400. I have yet to install it but I think it should be sufficient for my shop size.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here