Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
After Repair Garage Door Will Not Auto Reverse

Posted by cwbrown (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 12:27

Hello,

Thanks in advance for any help. I have a 1/2 hp Craftsman opener on a sectional door. I installed it on a newly constructed home in 2001. It has worked fine for over 10 years.

Last week it quit working and I quickly noticed that the chain had jumped off the sprocket. Upon further investigation I noted that the shaft the sprocket was not balanced. I ordered a replacement kit. After removing the drive I found that a spacer near the sprocket had been completely eaten away. The area around the drive was full of metal shavings.

Replacing the gear was easy but after reconnecting the chain I hit the button. The garage door was driven into the ground to the point that the opener rail bowed upwards. I ran underneath and pulled the emergency release.

Adjusting the limit solved the problem of the door being driven into the ground but the door will still not auto reverse. If I put a two by four down on the floor the door just smashes down on top of it.

I tried adjusting the downward force but even set to zero it behaves the same. My only guess is that the rail or maybe even the trolley was bent and as a result the opener is not "detecting" when the door is hitting something.

The safety IR beam is still functional. If I block the eye the door will auto reverse.

I'm also a little confused as to why changing out the gear drive seems to have changed the limits and created this problem.

Has anyone seen a door that completely fails to autoreverse?

Thank you,
Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: After Repair Garage Door Will Not Auto Reverse

I'd open up the drive unit to see if something is blocking the mechanical switch that detects obstructions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here