Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Compact flouros disable garage open remote

Posted by geoff_wombat (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 22, 07 at 11:52

Re my previous posting about the intermittent operation of my garage door remote, I have found the problem.
About a month ago I replaced the lightbulb in the unit with a curly compact fluorescent bulb. It appears that the bulb issues a frequency that blocks the signal from the remote.
I was freaking out because every time I opened or shut my door, with either the remote, or the wall switch, the remote would not operate for a period of time. I was never fully aware of how long that was, but I suddenly realised that when the door opens or closes, the light stays on for a few minutes.
So I unplugged the curly compact fluoro, and presto, the remote worked. I screwed it back in, and when it was lit, the remote did not operate. After it had shut off, the remote did operate.
Now I have replaced the bulb with one of the old ones, and everything works fine... except that I am contributing to global warming...SORRY.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Compact flouros disable garage open remote

Thanks so much for reporting this. It is something we will all need to watch out for. Florescent bulbs are really being pushed right now. I put one in an outside lamppost that came on at dusk and off at dawn. It lasted 4 days. I think it cost me $8.00.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here