Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage Door wall button opener

Posted by hoeandhope (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 17, 09 at 11:17

The wall button to my garage door must be getting worn out. It is old and when I push it, it may or may not open the door. If I fiddle around with it, it will finally open the door. I have bought a new very simple door opener button but do not know how to install it. It has two screws inside and two that mount to the wall. I don't know much about electricity so am not sure if I have to throw the breaker that goes to the garage. I really don't want to have to do that because I am not sure which breaker it is so if I start throwing breakers I will have to reset all clocks, DVD etc to find the right one. Please advise. I would like to take care of this myself instead of calling an electrician.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage Door wall button opener

Don't throw breakers. The voltage going to that button is so low you cannot even feel it. Attach the 2 wires screw it to the wall and you should be just fine.

o

Don, Thanks for your solution. I will try it tomorrow with confidance that I won't be fried.

o

Don, I used your advice and got the wall door opener installed. It works like a charm. Thanks for saving me a bill from the electrician.

o

The garage door opener almost certainly just plugs into an outlet.

While the voltages aren't high, you'll almost certainly push the button any number of times in the progress and having the door run while you're doing that is a bit annoying.

o

Just a suggestion....this coming weekend, why not throw each of your breakers, one at a time and record what circuits they protect? That will make future home maintenence efforts a little easier.

o

I think she's gone guys. Her problem was solved.

o

Thanks for the suggestion of taking time to throw each braker and mark it. I had already thought of it and my sister and I are going to do that.

The button was direct wired and did not plug into an outlet. Didn't have any trouble with it making the door go up and down while installing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here