Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage floor

Posted by mrplatts (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 22, 06 at 10:43

So, I read the last flooring post.

My garage floor is not perfectly level, but not quite problematic either. It has been painted (green) in the past. But it is all chipped and worn looking and I would like to give it a nice clean look by re-finishing the floor.

I've seen those spekled gray epoxy kits. Anyone have any recommendations?

There are some cracks in the floor, but not too bad, I would probably fix these too.

Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage floor

LOL I just posted about a similar product that we have gotten mixed reviews.

o

Did mine with two part epoxy and flakes, 4 years ago. Built house in '99. I did powerwash it, then I acid-etch the entire floor. It has held up good. Live in Northern NY and withstood the salt drips. I have four spots where wife parks her car in one side, but the rest is fine. Couple small spots 1 inch or so has lifted, but you dont notice it. The Flakes you spread around hides any imperfections. I would do it again if I move.

o

Most garage floors aren't level; they should actually pitch slightly away from the house so that any water runs out. They usually aren't especially flat either. That doesn't necessarily mean shoddy workmanship but rather that the "standard" for finishing a garage floor isn't especially high.

For most people any kind of coating on a garage floor is mostly aesthetic. I could see if one did a lot of, say, auto repairs where the likelihood of spilled fluids is high, a coating would make clean-up easier.

In your case, youll need to remove any old paint. Follow the instructions on the coatings can very carefully. Most require a fair amount of prep for best adhesion.

Mike

o

I used the rustoleum system for my floor. Here are some before and after pics. Has been exposed to salt, slush, oil antifreeze and has held up great. The most important thing is "slab preparation" and conditions(Humidity and temp) when applying the coating

Hope this helps

Gerard

Here is a link that might be useful: garage floor

o

epoxy is harder to work with than the average person wants to. try A good cleaning and concrete paint..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here