Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buildinga shed need suggestion

Posted by hendooman (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 28, 07 at 8:38

I am building an 8 x 10 shed in my backyard. I am about 90% complete except for the siding. I went to Lowes and Home Depot and sheets of Hardiplank were $22 a piece! I would need 12 sheets, it is really blowing my budget.

Any suggestions to another type of product to use as exterior siding. Could I use plywood? I live in Kansas, if you are wondering about the elements.

Jeff

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buildinga shed need suggestion

You can use T-111 plywood. Comes in two thicknesses. You put it right over the studs. It has vertical grooves in it.
Ron

o

Is that a treated wood? Is it paintable?

o

I checked out the T-111 at Lowes $26 a sheet...any other suggestions?

o

You can use regular exterior ply and just paint it. Use solid 1x3's at the corners, eaves, seams and door to protect the ply edges and give it some architectural interest.
I don't know of a lower price point.
Ron

o

You may also buy exterior plywood and using a router bit make your own T-11 siding.
Do you have access to wood pallets?
Strip the pallets and use them as siding.I build my shed using old pallets.A labor intensive job but when you get the pallets for free why compolain. I used a solid stain on mine.
You could also paint them.
Let us know what you end up doing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here