Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Detached garage costs

Posted by srocc (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 30, 07 at 7:41

I plan on building a detached garage, Cape style 26x28 with a 2nd story 1/2 the square footage of the 1st story.
1st floor is to be insulated and sheet rocked. 10wx8h garage doors with openers. 2nd floor will have subfloor but walls will be unfinished and sheetrock will be delivered and left on second floor for the future. Electrical will be included with sub panel, but not sure of the amps. I received a quote for $52,000 originally , and it was lowered to $50,000 almost immediately after my reaction. After talking to contractor he said the foundation alone would cost him $11,000 and 15,000 for materials. I'm thinking the materials included the lumber and windows. He said he was going to work on the price and try to get the price down to 45,000. This price also included a a 26 foot driveway drain put in front of the doors. I live about 70 miles north of New York City. Any comments would appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Detached garage costs

Was the estimate based on blueprints or a casual conversation and pointing, here and there? If you have blueprints or even a formal plan written down you should be able to call half a dozen contractors, give them the plans and get estimates.
Blueprints would be better because the needs of the structure would be based on knowledge of codes and structure that you might not possess and the contractors might not either.
I'd lose the clowns that drop their prices every time you speak with them.
Ron

o
RE: Detached garage costs

I have a nephew that does remodeling. I asked him how he arrived at his prices and he said you throw out a price and see how the homeowners react. If they keep smiling, it's okay, but if they start looking unhappy, you start lowering it. Your contractors sound like the same kinds of workers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here