Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting / Sealing 3/4' T&G OSB Floor

Posted by brothab (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 3, 09 at 0:10

So glad I found this forum. I hope to get some much needed advice quickly.

I am almost finished laying the floor in my 12x24 shop/storage building next to my home and I have chosen to use 3/4" T&G OSB for the floor. It's cheap and seems quite sturdy.

I want to seal/paint the surface in a way to protect it against spills of all sorts with something that will truly bond and hold firm to the surface. I will park my mower in it and also spend a lot of time in there doing the usual fixit stuff.

I am not familiar with OSB for the most part. My first knee jerk reaction is to use an oil based primer/paint but am concerned what the repurcussions/benefits may be. Will it adversely affect the glue that bonds the fibers etc...

Second knee jerk is that Latex won't be sufficient.

This building is dryed in but is not sealed tight enough to stop all humidity from seeping in. That brings up another question. Should I be concerned about moisture from beneath? It's on piers about 12-18" above ground level.

I want this inexpensive floor to last as long as possible and would TRULY appreciate any advice that could be offered. I can't afford to do it twice.

Best Regards, and Thanks In Advance,

Jason

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting / Sealing 3/4' T&G OSB Floor

They make a thing called "Porch and Floor Paint"
Both Valspar (Lowes) and Behr (Home Depot) have it.

o
RE: Painting / Sealing 3/4' T&G OSB Floor

"...I have chosen to use 3/4" T&G OSB for the floor. It's cheap and seems quite sturdy."

How will it hold up to moisture, especially from underneath the building?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here