Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage Remodeling Project

Posted by ajpdla (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 24, 09 at 22:51

I am in the process of drywalling my garage (24x20). The garage has an attic area above it which I might wish to use for future living space. The ceiling of the garage is 2x6 construction; so the floor above is not very sturdy in its present state. I am thinking of installing a beam across the middle of the 20' width garage span prior to the completion of the finishing project.

Can anyone tell me what type of beam would be suitable for this purpose?

I saw an ad recently where I could obtain an aluminum 20' beam for pretty cheap. However, I am unsure if this would suffice for my needs.

The walls of the garage are 2x4 construction; and the attic area is about 7-8' in height at its peak with a fairly steep slope downward.

Thanks for any input/advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here