Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman 1/2 hp drive gear chewed up

Posted by jalvarez2 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 11, 07 at 21:41

I replaced the drive gear on this unit (after 13+ years without a single problem) and it only worked for a couple of weeks before the drive gear was chewed-up again. I admit it is not as easy to open the wooden double door manually as it used to be. I've tried tightening and lubricating but want to make sure before I invest in another drive gear. Any ideas? I can't find anything physically wrong with the door.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman 1/2 hp drive gear chewed up

That drive gear has to bear the full weight of the door. If the door is heavy to you it is heavy to the opener. Did you use the tube of gear lubricant when you replaced the gear? It needs to be spread liberally on the teeth of the gear.

o
RE: Craftsman 1/2 hp drive gear chewed up

No, I did not use the lubricant. I will do so with this next gear. I also learned that my door was very heavy to open/close manually. I cleaned the tracks, lubed the hinges, etc. and I notice a huge difference. Thank you for the advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here