Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftman GDO stuck open

Posted by pdeak (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 27, 08 at 21:14

I have a 1\2hp Craftsmans GDO. It's probably 25yrs old. Has worked great until it stuck in the open position. The wall switch and remote activate the internal GDO switch but the motor will not start. When I rotate the large pully inside the GDO manually - lifting white plastic ring off of the close limit switch - the garage door coupling on the rail moves about 5 inches away from the GDO - the motor starts and moves the GDO coupling on the rail back toward the GDO closing the door again. Weird huh? The door moves freely when disconnected from the GDO. I think there is something inside the GDO between the switch that gets the signal and the motor that is malfunctioning. If there is a $10 fix to this I hate to spend $150 on a new GDO. I know GDO's aren't made to last forever.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftman GDO stuck open

You won't find any parts available for this opener. It's time for a new one. Oh and be careful moving those limits around. It will bite your fingers.

o
RE: Craftman GDO stuck open

Hi pdeak, no offence, but Stop playing with this plugged in before you fry your self or get something caught in the moving mechanism!

Get a new opener. I am pretty sure I know what wrong but danged if I am gonna tell you! It aint worht messing with, especially if you got kids or old pets. What is the deductible on your insurance??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here