Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage cupolas

Posted by steveinboston (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 8, 06 at 19:59

We have a cupola on our garage but when it rains hard we have found that it blows into the cupola louvers and soaks the garage ceiling. Any ideas how to fix this cupola? Would tighter louvers help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage cupolas

i feel your pain. part of my garage ceiling fell in during hurricane Katrina due to this very issue. i have not fixed all of it yet, but i did manage to stop the moisture issue. the vent by the garage was actually a false one on my house, you could not even see it from inside the attic. i cut out teh plywood from teh main roof to gain access to the back of the vent and then covered the vent with painted plywood to stop water blowing in. so far it has worked well. now i just have to hang a piece of sheetrock and tape the joints, then reblow the ceiling, then repaint.

you can buy covers with smaller holes, but i chose not to due to cosmetics. mine are old style louvers that were custom made and would take away from the appearance if they were covered externally.

o
RE: Garage cupolas

Does your garage have an accessible attic? If so, you could install a drip pan that drains through the soffit fascia.

These are made for central air units and also for washing machines. It's basically a large sheet metal pan with a drain hole at one end. A piece of pipe or tubing goes from the drain hole, across the attic, and out through a small hole in the side of the garage or through the fascia and into a gutter.

The pan in my attic (for my central air unit) is large - about 3 feet x 5 feet. If you installed this so it hung just below the cupola, it should catch any rain that gets blown in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here