Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
generators & air compressors

Posted by fish_doc (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 19, 07 at 19:56

I AM GETTING READY TO BUILD A NEW HOUSE. IT WILL HAVE A DEDICATED SHOP(GENERAL PURPOSE AND WOODWORKING). IN ANTICIPATION OF THIS AND FOR USE DURING THE CONSTRUCTION PHASE, I BOUGHT A LARGE CRAFTSMAN AIR COMPRESSOR. IT IS A 3.2 RUNNING0 HP, 60 GAL, 150 PSI, AND 240 VOLT. UNTIL POWER IS BROUGHT IN, I WANTED TO RUN THIS FROM A CRAFTSMAN GENERATOR. IT IS 10 HP. 5600 (RUNNING ) AND 8600(SURGE)WATTS. IT HAS A 240 VOLT, 30AMP. OUTLET. FOR SOME REASON, THE AIR COMPRESSOR DOESN'T WORK WITH THAT GENERATOR. THE VOLTAGE OUTPUT IS 246-250 VOLTS AT THE GENERATOR PLUG (OUTLET) AND WHERE THE WIRE ENTERS THE AIR PRESSURE SWITCH WHEN THE COMPRESSOR IS RUNNING. THE VOLTAGE ON THE MOTOR SIDE OF THE SWITCH IS 140-146 VOLTS!!! I HAD THE GENERATOR TESTED AND TUNED UP PROFESSIONALLY AND IT WORKS FINE(I THINK). THE AIR COMPRESSOR WORKS LIKE A CHARM AT MY RESIDENCE USING THE DRYER OUTLET.

ANY THOUGHTS AS TO HOW TO SOLVE MY PROBLEM?

THANKS,

FISH DOC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: generators & air compressors

Turn off the caps lock?

o

Possible that the 240 outlet on the generator is wired incorrectly? Did you try any other machine that uses 240?
Ron

o

Thanks for the ideas. The generator ran a 240V well pump for a year without any problems!!
Fish Doc

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here