Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drive Gear Stripped again

Posted by auburn97 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 08 at 19:54

I have a Sears 1/2 HP crafstman garage opener model 139.53413 which had been working fine since I bought my house 4 years ago. Then it went haywire and wouldn't work anymore. I opened the cover and discovered that the genious design for a plastic gear had been shreded somehow. The worm gear looked fine. I replaced the drive gear and cleaned out the worm gear. I could not replace the worm gear because I couldn't get those darn washers out. Well, after re-installing the gear, the garage worked perfectly again and no more sawdust. This only lasted for 1 week. Now, tonight, one of the coldest nights of the year, it decides to stop again. I open up the cover, and more stupid white sawdust....the gear is stripped again.

What on earth is wrong? Why would it work perfectly then all of a sudded go kaput? It must be off axis somewhere, but everything lines up perfectly. I would replace the worm drive if I could get the washers out, but I don't think a new worm and gear are going to solve the problems.

Is it time for a new garage door opener or could I buy a replacement for this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drive Gear Stripped again

The most common reason a gear strips so soon is because the door is too heavy or the gear was not lubricated or both. If the door has not been maintained a new opener will do the same thing. You may need to file any burrs off the motor shaft to remove the washers. The instructions that come with the new gear are great.

o
RE: Drive Gear Stripped again

Hi auburn, fwiw greased gears on this genius design last 15-20 years.

Also FWIW the shaft lets those washers slide off.
and the endplay on the motor shaft must be correct. iu am pretty sure 53400 series is old, play is probably off.

gearkit for older units is NOT NOT NOT 41a2817

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here