Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two-bay detached garage plans with tall doors?

Posted by foolyap (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 24, 10 at 19:30

I want to build a detached garage for my tractor and attachments, and am curious to see what plans people might have encountered that might fit my needs.

Would love to have some walk-up loft storage as well. Don't need the space to be heated, as it's not intended to be a workshop, just tractor storage. I do want it to have a foundation and doors -- not a barn or 3-sided pole building. Want to try to keep the damn rodents out of things.

This is one of my current favorite plans:

http://www.archwaypress.com/catalog/?target=product&product_id=2061

We get a lot of snow around here, so a steep pitch on the roof is a good thing.

At 26x28', this plan is probably as large as I can fit onto the property. (We have 11 aces, but most of it has use restrictions due to wet soils.)

The tractor is modest in size (Kubota L series) without a cab, so I probably can squeeze it under an 8' tall door. But has anyone seen plans for garages with 9' doors? Most of the plans I see for RVs have 10' doors and are a bit larger than I need or want.

Getting tired of the slowly degrading hoop-house it's parked in now. :-P

Thanks for any pointers, --Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two-bay detached garage plans with tall doors?

What is a hoop-house?
I'm looking to buy a place. When things are done well and properly, then the property appreciates, as yours will, with 9 foot doors...
But I'd go for 10 foot, as 50 years from now, a future owner should be very happy with a large vehicle storage building.

o

What is a hoop-house?

I linked to a place that sells such things.

I'm looking to buy a place. When things are done well and properly, then the property appreciates, as yours will, with 9 foot doors...

The only plans I've seen with 9' or 10' doors are designed to accommodate RVs. Those plans are typically more square footage than I can likely fit on this property.

Still looking for a plan that 1) looks like a garage or barn, 2) with 9' doors, that isn't enormous.

The current favorite is the one I linked to in my original post. Might be able to just modify the plan to be a foot higher, I suppose, and get a 9' door that way.

--Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: FarmTek Garage & Storage Buildings

o

Hi,
Maybe the following link can help.It is a garage building guide, I myself found it very interesting.Hope its helps.

Anna

Here is a link that might be useful: Garage Building and cost guide

o

Take a look at the trusses in this photo of my shop building. It was originally designed for an eight foot high door. By having the truss plant engineer those trusses, the builder was able to change it to a ten foot high door.

The shop had a nine foot flat ceiling as designed. If you are looking at a plan with an eight foot ceiling, you might have to raise it a foot, in addition to the special trusses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here