Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
craftsman garage door

Posted by misty_2006 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 15, 06 at 19:11

I just bought a home and for 3 weeks all the garage door openers worked great. Now I need to be standing within 3 feet of the main unit on the ceiling for the signal to work and open the garage.
Can someone please tell me what I can do ? and I am hoping the words buy a new unit is not my only option.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: craftsman garage door

Misty it doesn't sound good. If only one remote had short range it would be easier but you say they all are that way. The odds of all remotes needing batteries at the same time is pretty small. It points directly to the logic board which includes the receiver. The logic board is expensive and if you can't DIY the labor is expensive. If you can DIY get the model number off the motor unit. It looks like this. 139.XXXXXSRTX. Go to sears.com or call your local sears parts department and you can get the price. I wish I had a better answer for you.

o
RE: craftsman garage door has sporatic movement

I have a Craftsman door opener model 139.53606. When the remote is pushed to open the garage door the motor runs but the chain belt either doesn't move or just moves slightly. If I try to move the chain manually, it will move by itself about 6" and stop. When I move the chain again, the same thing will happen. When I took off the garage door opener cover, there were shredded pieces of plastic in the bottom. But when I looked at the gears and drives, they looked OK. I need suggestions on whet to do next. If I need to replace any of the gears, is that something that is difficult to do?

o
RE: craftsman garage door

Try the batteries first. To Stevend: Your main gear is shot. You will need to replace the gear,(big job for homeowner), or replace the unit. If you can do this yourself, then it may be worth a try. If you are going to call sears, forget it. Buy new... Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here