Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Instructions For Replacing Motor Drive Chain Sprocket

Posted by billy3p (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 6, 12 at 18:57

The sprocket on top of the motor housing of a 1/3 HP Access Master(made by Chamberlain) has broken off. I have removed the motor housing and can see that the sprocket assembly interlocks with the worm gear as well as the up/down limit switches and contacts. I can also see that there are three sheet metal screws running from inside the housing assembly up through the top which serve to mount the sprocket assembly to the housing. My question is how much of the worm gear and up/down limit switch assemblies will I have to remove? It also appears that the sprocket shaft has one or two spacers that might be held in place by set screws? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

William

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Instructions For Replacing Motor Drive Chain Sprocket

The part number you need is 41C4220A and is available at any good door opener service company. It comes with instructions. Don't take any shortcuts. This situation usually occurs when the opener is lifting a door that hasn't been properly maintained and is need of new springs. Try releasing it from the opener and operating by hand. It should not be heavy and should stay in place when released about waist to shoulder high.

o

every gear inside the motor housing looks great with no shavings accumulated or abnormal wear. I have inspected the door rollers and found one to have worked the mounting screws loose. I am wondering if during the last close cycle this roller somehow wedged enough causing excess torque on the motor and resulting in the sprocket shaft twisting/snapping. It is a clean break just at the point where the sprocket meets the housing.

o

That assembly has a bronze bearing the shaft runs through. A heavy door causes the bearing to wear and lets the shaft rub against the steel cover and cuts the shaft to the point where it breaks. I have never seen a shaft break from other causes but I suppose. Check the door balance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here