Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arborbarber

Ideas on installing a 10' tall garage door that looks 7' tall?!?

arborbarber
14 years ago

I am adding an attached third car single garage to my house this Spring and would like to know if anyone has any ideas on how to get around my homes association rule of a maximum 7' tall garage door height. Ideally I would like a minimum of 9'-10' tall garage door, and my initial thought was to install everything like a standard 10' tall garage, only with a HINGED false header beneath the actual header to look like it is only 7' tall. Has anyone ever heard of this being done? I should not have any problems with anyone noticing if it is blended in right with the rest of the siding and since the garage is pretty well "hidden" being on the back corner of my house. Coming up with a visual image of the hinges is the only setback. I actually had a side driveway poured last year going to the back corner of my house and was originally going to put up a privacy fence... Of course, AFTER I get the initial approval and have the concrete poured, the homes association decides that they are finally going to enforce a rule that the fence must attach to no more than 3' from the back corner of a house. I tried to argue that I was on a culdesac and many other houses in our neighborhood have fences coming up to the front of the house, but I was denied. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Comments (2)