Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brian61_gw

Garage Door Opener, Craftsman, Closing problem, sensors

brian61
18 years ago

I've got a 6-year old Craftsman opener that works great in most every way but when it needs to close. Currently I have to hold the operator button down during the full close cycle. It is due in some manner to the fact that there seems to be something wrong from the door sensors, although they are aligned well and have never been bumped, knocked out of align, etc.

The issue originated as a come and go occasional problem but has upgraded (if you will) to a full time problem.

During the problem time periods, the light on the sensors is either dim, very dim, or non-existent.

The only other condition with the opener - although I don't know if this is related to the main closing problem but it appears it could be - is that over the time I've had the opener, I've had to increase the down force adjustment knob several times to where it stands currently. And currently it is set to the limit of it's adjustment range where the highest force to the door is being applied to close it.

Anybody have any ideas as to what is wrong or bad, and can it be fixed or is this something that requires an entirely new opener. Thanks for any insight or experience you may have that could help me on this matter. Any thoughts are much appreciated.