Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
we have 8 foot garage doors

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 23, 07 at 15:03

What would the cost be in expanding the opening to 9 feet? Is it worthwhile? Its tight pulling in.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: we have 8 foot garage doors

GUESS I AM THE ONLY NUT THINKING ABOUT THIS!!!!

o

You would need to call in a contractor to get an idea. Prices will vary with location and individual circumstances, none of which you've supplied. An example of a few would be...
Stand alone or attached?
Is there a room over the garage?
Exterior construction?
Door choice?
These are a few of the items that will affect the price. There are others. Estimates from a few local contractors will be more accurate.
Ron

o

One big issue is going to be reframing the opening. Currently there is some type of "header" spanning the 8' opening(s). A header is a beam of sufficient strength to carry the expected load from the ceiling and roof, and redistribute it onto the "jack studs" inside the wall at either end that support it. A header can be regular dimensional lumber, glulam, LVL, even a steel beam. To widen the opening will require removing the present header and replacing it with one long and strong enough to span the new 9' opening. It will likely be necessary to provide temporary support for the ceilinjg/roof while this is done.

I'm pointing this out so you understand it's not just a matter of cutting out a wider opening and installing new doors.

o

I currently have 8 foot doors and want to expand to 9 foot doors. I got one estimate of 1,000.00 per door to finish the expansion. In addition, the estimate does not include the new doors that would be needed. I am still working with different framers to find one who can beat the price of a 1,000.00 per door and use (give money for the old doors)the 2 eight foot doors that would be removed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here