Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Temporarily cover garage door vents

Posted by GardenerDev (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 14:59

The garage doors in my complex have vents in them to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. That's a noble goal, but sometimes we don't have a car in the garage and we want to be able to heat it to prevent pipes above freezing in the area above the garage, or in order to work in the garage in fall/spring/winter. I'm wondering if there's an easy way to attach a flap to cover the vents temporarily, that could then be removed when there will be cars in the garage?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Temporarily cover garage door vents

Garage door vents are not designed to 'prevent carbon monoxide poisoning'. They are too small to vent car exhaust. CO levels can easily rise to an unhealthy level even with the door itself open and the auto engine running.
I see no problem with closing them off unless you have a gas fired furnace and/or water heater drawing it's combustion air from the garage, but NEVER even start, let alone run, your car with the door less than fully open and make sure any container of lawn mower gas kept in the garage is properly capped.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here