Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long should a garage door opener last??

Posted by janet_ks (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 3, 10 at 12:57

Need some advice please...

I have a Craftsman 1/3 HP garage door opener that was installed when the house was built 17 years ago. I've had problems maybe 3 or 4 times and had to call a repairman (I'm not mechanically inclined). The most recent call was just three weeks ago...I think it was a bad capacitor ($20 for parts, $75 for labor). Now, it's not working again! Should I continue to repair it or would I be better off just replacing it? How long should one last...I know parts need to be replaced, but is there ever a point where the whole thing is worn out? I hate to be shelling out $100 bucks every time I turn around.

If I do need to replace it, any recommendations as to manufacturer and specs? As I browse this site, I see a lot of problems with Craftsman...are they particularly problematic or does it is just appear that way since there so many of them out there?

Words of wisdom would be appreciated!!

TIA,
Janet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long should a garage door opener last??

Janet the normal life of an opener is 10 to 12 years. There are exceptions like yours of course. Sears sells more openers than everyone else put together and that is why you read so much about them and most of the people that post with problems are not the original owners therefore no manuals or experience other than pressing the button. My pick is Liftmaster. It is the professionally installed brand of Chamberlain Mfg. Co. Chamberlain also sells under the Chamberlain name for DIY'ers and makes most of Sears openers. Sears has just recently started handling Genie openers. Hope this helps you.

o

Thanks Don. I had to chuckle at your comment "not the original owners therefore no manuals or experience other than pressing the button"....yep, that describes me perfectly!!

o

I agree with Don. The newer openers have some neat features too. Ours has motion sensors to automatically turn the lights on when we enter the garage and off after a couple of minutes. This keeps us from leaving the light on all of the time.

o

yes janet i also agree with DON, MY UNIT IS 20 YEARS OLD AND I JUST REPLACED THE GEARS. BUT I DO ENJOY DOING THE WORK. I THINK YOUR UNIT HAS GONE IT'S COURSE AND YOU SHOULD NOT GET INTO THE MONEY PIT SITUATION, TAKE DON'S ADVISE IT IS THE RIGHT ROUTE TO GO

o

I would check into a Liftmaster professional belt drive series opener. I just replaced my Craftsman chain drives with Liftmaster Pro Belt drives and they are so much nicer and so quiet in comparison.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here