Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
G.D.Opener worm stop turning after sprocket replacement.

Posted by kyler11 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 26, 10 at 12:54

On a sears garage door opener I changed the main sprocket and when I turned the opener on without the chain the worm and sprocket turned fine. When I put the chain on (without the door hooked up) it ran rough like the chain was too tight and it traveled only a few feet on the track. I hit the button again to see if it would run smoother, it only moved a little and then stopped. I hit the button again and all I heard was a short buzz/hum and then a click. I took off the chain and hit the button to see if that would help and nothing. The worm does not turn. I took the sprocket out and tried it again and nothing. Did I burn out the motor? Did it come disengaged somehow? Should I just buy a new one? Please help if you can.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: G.D.Opener worm stop turning after sprocket replacement.

See if you may have tripped your house circuit breaker. Then check this:

Make sure you put the black cup back on the end of the motor shaft and that it is pressed all the way on. Make sure the RPM sensor is plugged in. If neither of these are the issue, then you probably did not have the motor shaft pushed all the way back when you tightened the coupler after replacing the worm gear. Loosen that coupler up and from the front of the motor (opposite end in which the coupler is on) push the shaft back as far as it will go. Hold it there while you tighten the coupler back up and then try it.

o

Black cup is all the way on. The machine is getting electricity. RPM sensor was never touched. I double checked and RPM is plugged in. I should have mentioned before but worm was not replaced. Any ideas? Please help and thank you.

o

I would check the wiring especially to the motor and make sure it is well connected. Something could have been bumped. Make sure the trolley is not jammed against the bolt just in front of the motor unit. Even though the worm gear looks good it is important to replace all the new hardwire that comes with the new gear.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here