Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Arch type steel buildings

Posted by shelt (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 14, 06 at 12:39

I am going to put up a 30' X 40' garage/workshop/storage building. I am considering using the arch type steel building. I am looking for input on advantages and disadvantages of this type of structure. Best price I've found yet for painted-galvalume with end walls is $7700 delivered. Below is a link to Mfg's site for the style I am considering.
Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: S-type steel arch building

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Arch type steel buildings

The foundation is the expensive part. I know that part for sure!

o

any idea what a 30x40 slab would cost? That is the size I eventually want to put up, but I'll probably do a steel building, like these:
http://www.americanoutbackbuildings.com/Construction.htm
Personally I do not like the way those steel arch buildings look.

Have you looked into a pole building? Around here I could get one close to that size for the same money, that would be with them erecting it.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.americanoutbackbuildings.com/Construction.htm

o

That building looks really nice! I am doing a clearspan steel building right now. Mine is 60x90x18.

You are looking at between 5 and 6 dollars per square foot for your slab. Depends on how much dirt work is needed and how thick your slab needs to be depending on a few variables. You will need to get with a good concrete guy but its gonna be close to $6 per sqft!
Good luck!

o

I'll be doing the concrete work myself. I poured about 5,000 yards last year. I hope to get started soon. Will update on progress. If I can figure out how to post photos I'll put up some.

o

I visited one of the companies listed here that caters steel buildings, i hope it's worth a try also...

Here is a link that might be useful: US Steel Buildings Info

o

The arch type presents some challenges to erect the first couple of arches. A high-lift forklift (or plenty of scaffolding) and plenty of help are almost mandatory to get started. Once those first two arches are solidly in place, the manpower requirement is less.
Confession: I have not built one of these-- so am not speaking from hands-on experience.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here