Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing gears on Craftsman garage door opener

Posted by a.mayfield53 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 12, 10 at 12:35

I have a Craftsman garage door opener that the gears are worn out on. I need to replace them. I am not sure how difficult this may be. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Could I be inviting a large problem or is this an easy procedure?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing gears on Craftsman garage door opener

Most people who are DIY'ers can do it with no problem. The part number is 41A2817 and is available at any good door opener service company. It comes with instructions.

o

I scanned in the instructions that come with the part, on webpage
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1347192/lifter/liftmaster_repair.html

Link below is to the scan of page 1.

Here is a link that might be useful: instruction sheet page 1

o
RE: Replacing gears on Craftsman garage door opener (page 2)

scan of page 2 of instruction sheet

Here is a link that might be useful: printed instructions page 2

o

I just replaced both grears on my unit, I backed off the hanger bolts holding the unit in place, then took off the chain via the tenioner, removed the two bolts from one section of track while holding the track then slowly lowering the one section of track, then removed the two bolts holding the unit in place lowering it to the ground carefully, then i took the unit to a work bench to work on it, if you buy the replacement kit and follow the instructions cafefully you should not have a problen leave enough room on the bench to line up the parts as your remove them. It makes the re-assembly go smoothly when removing the split pins holding the gears to the shaft use the punch recommended in the instruction sheet, it will prevent you from damaging the shaft. even if you have not done too much mechanical work in the past. for the cost of the kit, and the challenge of doing the repair it is worth the expreince. Just make sure you dicconect the power first and use a very sturdy step latter, if you can get a second set of hands to help with the removal and installation that would be a good idea for safety sake. when you install the unit replace all lock washers and take a close look at the bolts holding the track together, lub the chain and clean and grease the track

o

If you are going to do this your self. Make sure the nylon gear is not the only thing worn out. Check the bushings that center the main gear drive as those can be worn too. And do not forget the rookie mistake of not lubing the nylon gear well or you will be doing it again soon. I would say for the average person, get the best price you can from a pro and save your self a headache unless you have all the tools necessary.

Otherwise good luck

o

I scanned in the printed instructions sheets and added my own photos how to do this here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1347192/lifter/liftmaster_repair.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Liftmaster / Sears gear replacement instructions with pictures

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here