Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lubricating metal garage door track?

Posted by rcnaylor (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 11, 11 at 11:30

Newbie here. Quick question. I have about a 7 year old metal door with a Wayne Dalton opener. Metal tracks.

I kind of hear a loudy creaking sound when it gets almost open now. Nothing looks to be binding nor junked up with stuff in the tracks (never been lubricated, nor wheels or wheel axles).

So, should I lubricate it all, if so, with what kind of lubricant?

Thanks for any advise.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lubricating metal garage door track?

The roller bearings should be lubricated with a light oil or silicone spray. The hinges on the door can also use silicone spray. Don't lubricate the tracks and don't use grease on anything other than the rail for the trolley to slide. The rollers should roll not slide. If you have a chain drive do not lubricate the chain. Doesn't need it.

o

Thanks Don.

Kind of what I was thinking, but I wanted to hear from someone who wasn't guessing!

o

"silicone spray" is not a suitable lubricant for bearings of any type.

o

brickeye you might be interested in this.

http://www.nmbtc.com/pdf/engineering/bearing_importance_of_lubrication.pdf

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here