Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which Chamberlain???

Posted by rizzo0904 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 17, 07 at 10:47

I am looking to purchase 2 new garage door openers. After doing some research, I would like to go with Chamberlain. Price isn't an issue.

We want a reliable, quiet model. Our garage is under our dining room.

Our doors are 7 feet, average size. Are we okay with 1/2hp, or should we go with the 3/4hp?

Also, belt, chain, or screw??? The reviews for the whisper drive and power drive (screw) are both very positive.

Thanks for you input!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which Chamberlain???

Quietest opener is going to be the belt drive. 1/2 HP openers are more than enough for a standard sized garage door.

o

I've read a few reports of the belts getting twisted. Is this something to be concerned about?

Also, I live in Northern New England....does the winter cold affect the belt in any way?

Thanks!!

o

rizzo0904 these belts don't twist. I don't know where stories like these start. Harley Davidson has used belts instead of chains for years.

o

I have never seen a belt twist or break, as a matter of fact I had one heck of a time cutting through one with cable cutters to shorten the operator rail once.

o

Thanks ya'll. I'll be buying the whisper drive this weekend!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here