Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
black garage door

Posted by erineve (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 10:43

Hi,
We're looking to purchase 2 new garage doors for our remodel and would like them to be black--and I'm having a difficult time finding a manufacturer that will allow this (unless they're made of wood). Overhead has told us we can paint them black after purchase, but it will void the warranty due to insulation issues. Our contractor has told us not to buy wood because they will not last. Can anyone offer us some insight?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: black garage door

Have you ever owned a black car? It shows EVERYTHING. A black garage door will do the same, along with the addition of being a heat sink and looking like a giant gaping hole in the house. Pick another color.

o
RE: black garage door

The last neighborhood we lived in all the homes had white garage doors. We thought our home could look different and liked the idea of painting the doors black as that would match our black shutters (main color of the house was a tan type of color). I painted the doors black and it looked great. We received many compliments from neighbors as most thought the color combination would not work - but it did.

Never has any issues with the paint peeling over the eight years we owned the home. As well, when we built the home we upgraded the doors with a higher insulation value and they received sunlight for most of the day as they were south/west facing. The exterior of the doors became hot in the summer but there was little difference in the interior temp. of the garage. We never had any warranty issues over the eight years and they never looked dirty although I never cleaned them!

Here's a pic.

photo DSC03787.jpg

This post was edited by swimman on Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 14:57

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here