Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
above garage addition

Posted by youngbuck (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 7, 07 at 10:24

me and my fiance were discussing renovations/improvements the other night when the idea of an addition came up. I had thought about it before and I think it would work but would like some opinions.

We have an semi-attached 2-car garage (it's connected but you have to go outside to go inside), and a 2 story house with walk in attic.

The idea is to add a second floor to the garage and to make the extra space livable. Everything would be properly insulated and ventilated and whatnot, including the garage.

I'm not sure how much of a pain it would be to get it done, but that's not really the issue at the moment. I have heard that it isn't good to put bedrooms above a garage due to possible rising fumes. However, I see so many houses that have livable space above garages. Anyh opinions on this matter, or any other ideas that come to mind?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: above garage addition

quote" I have heard that it isn't good to put bedrooms above a garage due to possible rising fumes. "quote

That, my internet friend, is HOGWASH.

I'd suggest getting an architect first and start searching for a good framing carpenter. He'll be harder to find than the architect will. Don't sign with any framer until you've previewed his work and spoken with some of his home builders. If he shows any apprehension about these requests, look for another.

just my .02

See Ya,
Kelly

o

Depending upon the age of the house and the way the slab was poured in relation to the sill plates you might need to do structural work first to repair damage to the wood on the concrete.
Ron

o

does your garage have footings able to support a 2nd floor? I live in MN and we need frost footings that go down 4+ feet below grade. an unattached garage does not need them and can be built on a slab with 12" deep perimeter footings. a nice rambler near me had a garage about 15' from the house and the owner built a breezeway? so the house/garage is 1 unit now. I always wondered what type of footings were on the garage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here