Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
frozen floor drain

Posted by youngbuck (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 7, 07 at 10:19

hey all. i was hoping somebody would be able to help me with a drain situation. i'm in NW PA and we've been having some less than pleasant weather lately. With all the snow and junk that somewhat melts off of our vehicles after we park in the garage, the floor drain froze up.

I now have a half frozen lake in the middle of my garage...

Any tips/suggestions i could use to unclog/unfreeze this fairly easy?

I don't have any outside pets, so i thought perhaps some antifreeze and/or that 'icemelt' stuff would do the trick...but i don't want to do something that would screw up the drain.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: frozen floor drain

icemelt may damage your concrete, depending on what kind it is. You could hire someone to steam it. But you could also just sprinkle some sand on it and wait for a thaw.

Don't do antifreeze.

o

steam it you say? maybe i could just try that myself with a little bioling water or something? i don't think that would hurt the PVC at all would it?

o

Icemelt directly over the drain, a little at a time might work.

o

Use calcium chloride.

o

Hey thats funny, that help me here in central Iowa and having less than desirable weather. I use hot water and and a bit of drain cleaner.

o

salt works well too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here