Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Attached or Detached Garage?

Posted by tallytomatoe (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 9:59

I am getting plans drawn up for a new home and was wondering what you guys thought about attached vs. detached garages? The garage would just be for parking vehicles (no shop or anything like that) with stairs leading to storage above. What are the pros and cons of each? It will be a three car garage 40' wide x 25' deep. Is that deep enough for mid size SUVs and my crew cab truck?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Attached or Detached Garage?

We recently moved and our new [to us] house has a two-car attached garage. We find it very convenient, especially on those -40 degree days. I put an overhead unit heater in and we keep it turned down to above freezing and we keep our freezer and extra fridge in the garage, along with the treadmill.

Our previous house had a two-car detached garage. It also had an overhead unit heater and we used it in much the same way. One advantage to a detached garage is that if you use it as a shop and have a mishap such as a fire, you don't burn the house down. That is not a consideration for you as you don't plan to use it as a shop.

Overall, we like the convenience of attached, especially given our climate.

o
RE: Attached or Detached Garage?

Thanks bobbymac - Location might of been helpful also (N. Florida). I think the convenience of being attached is what we want. The storage room above will be conditioned so being attached makes that easier. Can't imagine it being that cold. It was 30 this morning and I was freezing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here