Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman Garage Door Opener Problem

Posted by bruck (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 26, 09 at 9:27

I recently replaced the gear and sprocket in my 1991 craftsman garage door opener. I put the opener back up and everything worked great. The door the started to act up so I adjusted the up/down force to the maximum force. Everything seemed to work fine for a while until now. Now the door opens fine but will only close a foot or two and then reverses. I unhooked the door from the carriage and it still does it which tells me it's not the door. This is an older garage and there is no sensors anywhere. I about ready to give up. Anyone have any sugggestions? Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman Garage Door Opener Problem

Did you also replace the worm gear?

If so: make sure you pushed the motor shaft all the way back when you tightened the coupler. Loosen the coupler up and from the front of the motor (opposite end in which the coupler is on) push the shaft back as far as it will go. Hold it there while you tighten the coupler back up and then try it.

If not: The motor shaft is probably shifting and causing the black interrupter cup to move away from the infrared sensor. This will cause the problem you describe.

o

Yes, I replaced the worm gear also. I took the cover off over the weekend and the black interrupter cup is on and seems to be all the way one. I watched it run and the shaft doesn't seem to be moving. Do you think I should take it apart and see if I have the shaft as far back as it will go? I guess at this point, I don't have anything else to try.

o

Yes I would do that. Also you might make sure there is nothing blocking the infra red sensors on that small PC board.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here