Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
garage door drive gear issue

Posted by payne.kj (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 13, 12 at 9:12

We recently had our Craftsman garage door serviced because it wouldn�t open. They had to replace the torsion spring assembly as well as the top brackets on each side. That was about a month ago. Now I came home and the door wouldn�t shut. I opened up the lid to the garage door opener and the drive gear was trashed. There were white plastic shavings everywhere. It looks like that was the only part damaged. I was going to just replace it, but wanted to check something. Is it possible that fixing the other parts may have caused this to happen? I don�t want to waste time replacing the gear if it�s just going to do it again.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: garage door drive gear issue

I'm sure the gear went bad due to the bad torsion spring. Make sure the springs have been adjust correctly. Release the door from the opener and raise the door by hand. It should stay in place approximately waist to shoulder high. If it doesn't you need to call the service people back to correct it. If the door is balanced and the new gear is heavily coated with the grease that comes in the kit assembly you should not have more problems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here