Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage lighting

Posted by sconti_95 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 7, 12 at 9:06

Have inadequate lighting in our large 3 car garage. Ceilings are 12 feet and contractor only installed two 48" fluorscent light fixtures on the ceiling. What is the best way to increase lighting? Want to improve appearance of garage as we are going to re-do the floor, add TV, refrigerator, install lift to stack two collector cars in single stall, etc. Lighting will be the first step in this renovation. Was thinking of pot lights, but was told they would not give adequate lighting unless I had a load of them installed. Would like to hear some thoughts from you all before meeting with the electrical contractor. Thanks !!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage lighting

I would suggest more 48" fluorescent fixtures, but switched in banks that allow you to light portions of the garage. For a two car garage with 10 foot ceilings, I did three banks for four two-tube fixtures that were switched separately. One bank was at the front, one bank in the middle and one bank at the back. If you wanted to work on anything, you had lots of light. I also put in LOTS of receptacles as well, on a variety of circuits. If you put a sheet of plywood or something along the wall, you can easily cover a plug in. I also put the receptacles at a height of about 33 inches rather than down low, and several in the ceiling for door openers and in case you want to hang a trouble light or drop cord. I ran two circuits (not split receptacles, but an A - B - A - B etc.) along the front where the work benches were located. You never know how much stuff you have plugged in - battery chargers, grinder, clock, etc. along the front.

Just some ideas.

o

bobbymac: Thanks for the quick response. Liked your suggestion on the three banks as well as your other good tips. Going to share your suggestions with the electrical contractor on Thursday of this week and get him thinking. Thanks again !!

o

Just as a follow up, when I wired the garage at my former residence, I installed a sub-panel in the garage and also had one - 220V receptacle just in case I wanted it for a compressor or welder. I also had an overhead natural gas furnace to ward off the -40 degree temperatures. I put some outside GFI receptacles on separate circuits so that I could plug in block heaters on cars without blowing the circuits. If you are in Florida, you can ignore the comments about the block heaters.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here