Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bdouble_gw

Need Help with My SnowBlower

bdouble
9 years ago

I just recently bought a Craftsman 24" snow thrower, model #88173. Its never been used as I cannot get the thing to start since I got it home. Using the electric start it sounds like it wants to, the engine just will not "ignite". I tried the recoil and even less luck. I have filled it with the correct type of oil and gas. Key is in. Throttle is moved to fast (rabbit symbol) and I have it in the choke position. Is there something I am missing?

I picked it up from Sears and came in a large box. The store clerk loaded it in my truck and I remember when I got home and pulled it out there was what appeared to be oil that had spilled. Assume it comes with some oil mix in there for shipping? Is it possible that oil got in to some other areas of the engine and is causing a problem? When i primed the engine the first time, oil squirted out below. That doesnt happen anymore but wasnt sure if that was normal or is possibly the cause.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Trying to avoid having to lug it in to a Sears Repair store if it is something i can address at home.

Comments (5)

• Vith
    9 years ago

Are there any other run/stop switches? Is there a valve you need to turn for the gas line? Those would be the only easy things that would cause it to not work. My snow blower has a run/stop switch and a fuel line valve.

• johnc777
    9 years ago

Oil came out of where when you pressed the prime pump. This snowblower has a 4-cycle engine (which means you do NOT mix oil and gasoline) and there shouldn't be oil anywhere in the fuel system (the prime pump just pushes a little gasoline into the carburetor).

I'd suspect the machine was somehow stored on it's side. I'd pull the spark plug and see if it's fouled. I'd also check the oil level if you get it running.

Otherwise return it to the store for a new unit or a refund.

• rmsthor
    9 years ago

Are you sure it's oil? There is a fuel shut off valve that could be off. If there is a key that isnt turned on, or pushed in (like a plastic one) by the engine area that would keep it from starting. try putting the throttle halfway between rabbit and turtle and dont fully close the choke. sometimes this helps.

if these newer units have oil safety shutdown switches, that could be at fault and preventing you from starting the engine.

the primer system doesnt actually move fuel (well for diaphragm carbs they do), it pushes air into the main jet to push fuel near the orifice to get easily sucked in. Priming too much will typically allow fuel to rise up and run out.

it should be technically impossible for a new engine to have oil come out the carb. even if you stored it upside down.

• fshureih
    8 years ago

I know this is an old thread but what was the solution. I'm in the middle of a blizzard here and the same thing happened to me...new unit, oil on box, engine was locked and would not turn when I first got it. Store was already closed so couldn't take it back, engine now turns but does not start. Can't find a fuel switch like my old blower. My plan is to take it back as soon as stores open around here but in meantime if you found the solution I'd love to know. I have the same model

• toxcrusadr
    8 years ago

The plug may be fouled with oil. As recommended above, take out the spark plug and see if there is oil in the cylinder. If there is, wipe off the plug and rinse off the residue with a little mineral spirits. Gently pull the cord while the plug is out to see if there is a lot of oil in there (it will gush out if the cylinder is full). If it seems like it was a small amount, reinstall the plug, check the oil level, and see if she starts.