Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Door freezes to floor

Posted by chillilover (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 1, 09 at 0:50

I was wondering what's the best way to prevent my garage door seal from sticking to my garage floor in the winter? It caused my opener to break.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Door freezes to floor

you must have a lot of moisture right there, maybe from snow or something? if so keep it clean. another option would be to adjust the down travel limit so tha tit stops just short of teh floor. you won't get a weather tight seal then, but at least yor door won't freeze down.

BTW, if you opener kept exerting force trying to unstick the door then the up force was improperly adjusted. you should be able to grab the door while it is opening and it should immediately stop.

o

Great ideas thanks, I'll try those.

o

I work in refrigeration and the worse thing to do is to leave a gap... the moisture from the house is going to try to escape from that gap and accumulate ice as it reaches the dew point (when the moisture in the air condensates and freezes).
I would suggest to try greasing the gasket with some sort of grease (vaseline if it doesn't affect the material), otherwise the real solution is to install an electric heating cable.

o

luckyluc, most folks don't leave the door from teh house to teh garage open any longer than necessary. there won't be a lot of moisture coming from teh house. even if it did, he has ice right outside the door and it ain't going to make it any worse.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here