Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veganfred

Genie Pro 88 reverses direction and won't close

veganfred
17 years ago

I have a Genie Pro 88 screw drive garage door opener, which is being used with a sectional door. It came with the house some 17 years ago so itÂs probably around 20-years-old. The problem for now is that I cannot get the door to close, as it goes a few inches and reverses direction. I can stop it and maybe gain a few inches at a time, but itÂs really hard and takes forever to accomplish (17 tries once), so I have resorted to manually closing it and going back around to get my car. Not too annoyingÂugh! It makes no difference whether I use the remote or the wall switch. There are NO electric eye sensors, so they are not causing my problem, and the door IS balanced.

It still opens, but in the past few weeks it has grown very noisy. At various times in the past few days it has also either not moved up or down for a day or two, or it opened fine, but closed about a foot with each push of the button (I miss that). I have tightened the white nut on the back and also greased the screw drive, but it hasnÂt helped too much. It also appears that the guide bar has a slight bend to it. This also happened a few months ago, but stopped  I cannot recall if I made any adjustments back then to make it stop. Is it possible that recent power surges, which spaz out my Central Air fan to come on and stay on, can cause the Genie to go berserk, too?

Genie told me that if the door was balanced, it was most likely Âa bad circuit board, which is no longer available. If it is a bad board, is it repairable by someone who knows electronics (not me)?

If I have to buy a new one, what do you suggest I buy  brand and type (screw, beltÂ)? I have seen a lot of bad postings here about Craftsman. A garage opener guy wanted to install a 3280 for $350, but what I've read here kinda scared me off. Hope you can help, as this down and up stuff is beginning to get on my nerves.

Thanks for your helpÂ

Comments (2)