Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Genie Pro 88 reverses direction and won't close

Posted by veganfred (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 21, 07 at 22:29

I have a Genie Pro 88 screw drive garage door opener, which is being used with a sectional door. It came with the house some 17 years ago so its probably around 20-years-old. The problem for now is that I cannot get the door to close, as it goes a few inches and reverses direction. I can stop it and maybe gain a few inches at a time, but its really hard and takes forever to accomplish (17 tries once), so I have resorted to manually closing it and going back around to get my car. Not too annoyingugh! It makes no difference whether I use the remote or the wall switch. There are NO electric eye sensors, so they are not causing my problem, and the door IS balanced.

It still opens, but in the past few weeks it has grown very noisy. At various times in the past few days it has also either not moved up or down for a day or two, or it opened fine, but closed about a foot with each push of the button (I miss that). I have tightened the white nut on the back and also greased the screw drive, but it hasnt helped too much. It also appears that the guide bar has a slight bend to it. This also happened a few months ago, but stopped I cannot recall if I made any adjustments back then to make it stop. Is it possible that recent power surges, which spaz out my Central Air fan to come on and stay on, can cause the Genie to go berserk, too?

Genie told me that if the door was balanced, it was most likely a bad circuit board, which is no longer available. If it is a bad board, is it repairable by someone who knows electronics (not me)?

If I have to buy a new one, what do you suggest I buy brand and type (screw, belt)? I have seen a lot of bad postings here about Craftsman. A garage opener guy wanted to install a 3280 for $350, but what I've read here kinda scared me off. Hope you can help, as this down and up stuff is beginning to get on my nerves.

Thanks for your help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Genie Pro 88 reverses direction and won't close

Check that, I musta jinxed it by saying it was still opening, as it didn't when I got home tonight. Did not try again, as I hate to spoil the suspense for the morning when I have to leave for work.

o
RE: Genie Pro 88 reverses direction and won't close

The only other thing I would try is disconnect the opener arm from the door and hit the opener and see if the opener works when disconnected from the door.

The 3280 is a Liftmaster Belt Drive opener. It is very quiet and reliable. You are seeing so many craftsman opener problems in this forum, because if you google craftsman opener problems, it takes you to this forum. Most of the problems you are seeing with these openers are extremely easy repairs.

I would get that 3280 installed for that is a fair price about 25 bucks cheaper than what my company installs them for. Or you could go with a craftsman and do it yourself, either way stay away from srew drives no matter what the name brand and in particular stay away from genie. At least when a craftsman opener breaks you can buy the parts and do it yourself.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here