Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john48_gw

garage door wheels comming out.

john48
17 years ago

My garage door keeps having the bottom right wheel comming out of the door when is being lowered. The door seems to be moving to the left side of the garage opening. I have had this problem with it for as long as I have had the house (7 years). But it is getting worse. Also you can see the wear on the front of the right side of the door. Does anyone have a suggestion to fix the problem?

Comments (4)

• doorguy06
    17 years ago

john 48,

If you pop your wheel back in, does the door have to be in the full up position in order for the wheel to pop out on the way down? If so, three things may be occuring. Number one you have a vertical track (the track that runs straight up and down) and a horizontal track (the track the door is in when it is in the up position). Where these two tracks meet and bolt together is called a flag bracket. Now, doors do walk side to side when going up and down and that is normal, so either your bottom roller is not lubed enough and is frozen causing it to pop out on the way down, or your flag bracket is set too wide at the very top allowing just enough clearance for the roller to pop out on the way down which will still be most likely caused because the roller is frozen in the bottom fixture. Lastly you might just have a bad set of rollers. When the door is in the down position grab one of the wheels and see if there is significant movement side to side this is an indication of a bad roller. Listen to your door as it goes up and down if you hear a bunch of clicking noises this is also an indication of bad rollers. I am not going to rule out bad rollers, but I would suggest when the door is in the up position spraying some penetrating oil on the bottom roller and stem and physically moving it side to side. I would bet siince your door is walking to the left and the right roller is popping out that the roller is not moving as it should in the bottom fixture.

Where is the wear on the right side of the door, inside or outside? Outside could be that the vertical tracks are too tight to the door jamb causing excess rubbing on the door, inside could be various things.

• john48
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Door guy, When the door is in the up position and going down is when the wheel pop's out. I lubed the rollers as you said. And I noticed on the left side the bottom roller bracket is rubbing against the track when going in both directions.

• doorguy06
    17 years ago

Did lubing the rollers fix the problem or is still popping out? Does the door appear to be level when is is on the ground or does it look like the left side is higher than the right. If it is level you can loosen the two lag bolts on the vertical track and move the track out a little bit to keep it from rubbing.

• h2obedman
    14 years ago

I had the same problem. After reading your posts
    I checked the lower wheel in question and noticed
    a loose bolt on the interior garage door brace.
    I tightened all bolts on this brace and shazaam!
    No more wheel problem. Go figure.