Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman 1/2 HP Opener

Posted by wardydu (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 4, 08 at 21:00

OK..I refuse to give-up...
So, the sprocket on top of the motor unit of my craftsman 1/2HP garage door opener broke off. I ordered the entire sproket assembly, and worm gear unit and installed it myself following the instructions. Not very hard, made alot of notes and put everything back together. When I pushed the button for the much celebrated first test, the sprocket turned clockwise 3 or so times and then came right back the other direction. I tried this with the trolley in the open position, closed position, and every other position along the track...same result every time. My sensors work, one solid green, the other solid orange...No lights flash on the opener...I've tried the opening/closing adjustments and also the opening/closing force...Nothing works? Finally, I had a tech come out for a $20 service call and he told me it must be a bad circuit board...He didn't do anything to test this and honestly didn't seem to be very educated on the subject matter...Before I spend the money on a new opener, now having already installed the new gear, I would love to make sure I'm not missing anything?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman 1/2 HP Opener

I am having the same exact problem, went through everything 4 or 5 times and it does the same thing. Any help would be appreciated.

o

Make sure you remembered to put the black interruptor cup on the motor shaft and that it is pressed all the way on.

o

So that black cup is NOT to spin????

o

That black cap must turn with the motor shaft. The shutters must travel between the RPM sensor on that little circuit board or you will have the exact problem you describe in your first post.

o

well, I got it a little tighter...doesn't spin to the touch anymore...it is traveling between the RPM sensor...still same issue???? Shouls I take a washer or 2 off of the shaft and get it even tighter??

o

If you followed the instructions in the box you probably replaced the worm gear as well. Remove the black cap and loosen the coupler up on the end of the shaft. On the front of the motor, where the other end of the shaft pokes through, push the shaft back as far as it will go and hold it there while you tighten the coupler back up. Put the black cap back on and see what happens.

o

IT WORKS.....Thankyou SO MUCH, you saved me $ and taught me that perseverance is always wins...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here