Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What heaters for my workshop?

Posted by ard1 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 23, 09 at 20:39

I am looking for heating options for my small, 200 sq ft workshop. It must be non dust producing as I do yacht varnishing, and can't have any particulates blowing around. The building is well insulated and I am in northeastern NC; so it's not terribly cold. I have been looking at the flat panel micathermic heaters that can either stand on the floor, or wall mount. Two companies that make them are de Longhi, and Soleus. These seem a pretty good option, as they are non-sparking on start up and have thermostats. Does anyone have any experience with these type of heaters? I will not be heating the shop 24/7, but only as needed. Thanks. Ard

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What heaters for my workshop?

ok, how do you varnish a "yacht" in a 200sq ft shop? maybe a skiff, but not a yacht!

any type of electric heater would be fine. heck just a coupel low cost units from Wally world would be more than enough.

o

Did I say the whole thing in the little shop!?! No, it's just the bits and pieces- hatch covers, boxes, flagpole, boathook, get the picture? The boat herself is securely tucked up in a covered shed in the water. Any old electric heater won't really do, as I need as dust free an environment as possible, and not to sound stupid, but what is Wally World?

o

You could look at radiant heaters or infra-red - some hang from the ceiling, some are portable. We have a small infra-red thing we got at Costco for about $90 (in Canada so probably cheaper down there) that throws a lot of heat and no fan to blow dust around.
Wally World - a joke from a really dumb Chevy Chase movie.

o

Wally World= WalMart

a standard electric heater will NOT create any dust/debris/etc. get one without a fan, or get a oil filled radiator style, and they won't evne move existing dirt around.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here