Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
freestanding water faucet in garage?

Posted by cheryl_p (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 27, 08 at 19:55

I'm not sure if it's called a freestanding water faucet, but our builder put one in our garage and for the life of me I can't figure out its proper use. Yes, we have a drain in the floor (in the middle of the room), but we also have drywall. And since this water faucet is attached to the wall with NO sink beneath it, how do we keep the drywall from getting wet? Haven't used it yet, but wanted to check with you folks and your experience. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: freestanding water faucet in garage?

Does it have threads on the spout? Because you could hook a hose to it. Or you could get it replumbed to go outside as another hose bib. Unless you have a waste pipe, the only exit is the floor drain.

Also, you could tile over the drywall under the faucet. Or put in a cheap utility sink with a "drain" that's just a pipe down to the floor.

o

Its probably just for filling a bucket or attaching a hose to it. A long time ago I lived in a house that had one like what you describe and we hardly ever used it. Once in a while to fill a bucket with water and that was about it.

o

We have a hot/cold bib installed like that. We chose that method instead of a utility sink. Less chance of freezing the works in the case someone left the garage door open.
It comes in pretty handy for washing the dog or for the outdoor shower with muddy kids.
I do have a 2 gallon square bucket that I leave under the faucet to catch extra water those frost proof faucets let out.
Our drywall is textured, painted and trimmed. I haven't had much trouble with it getting wet. When it does I just wipe it down with a micro fiber cloth.

Peace

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here