Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman garage door opener short cycles

Posted by jimh_gardener (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 9, 08 at 19:13

I just replaced the gear assembly on my Craftsman garage door opener(after 22 years the gears stripped). Now the motor will not cycle correctly. It turn clockwise about 2-3 seconds and then reverses itself the same amount. It has nothing to do with the limit switches, I checked that. I am thinking the motor capacitor is bad. Can anyone confirm this theory? Thanks, Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman garage door opener short cycles

Make sure you put that black cap back on the end of the motor shaft and make sure the small circuit board next to the black cap is plugged in. If you replaced the worm gear, make sure you pushed the motor shaft back as far as it will go before you tightened up the coupler on the end of the shaft. Normally if the capacitor is bad nothing will happen when you push the button or if a wire is knocked off normally the motor will only go in one direction.

o
RE: Craftsman garage door opener short cycles

Thanks doorguy06. There were a few things wrong. The limit switch block was not seated correctly causing the black cap to be missalined and fixing that allowed the motor to cylce correctly. However, while adjusting the door travel I ran the motor too often and the capacitor blew. Oh well, I now can replace that and move more slowly with the other adjustments. Thanks again, Jimh_gardener

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here