Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fan purchase ?

Posted by leprichon (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 11, 09 at 19:03

I am in need of a fan...it will be in my basement (wich is fairly large) and needs to move enough air to ventilate the area from fumes from furniture refinishing...The fan will be placed in a verticle round chimney style duct (that runs up about 25 ft) and it should run fairly quietly...I havent bought an exhaust fan befor, so Im not familiar with judging how much power or air flow I will need the fan to move, or the different styles of mounting, etc...(it should also be strong enough -that when piped - it will create a downdraft in an enclosed area below my table saw)...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fan purchase ?

Fans are selected on what type of duty.

Standards are set concerning number of air turns in a space per hour. From memory furniture refinishing is from 6-15x an hour based on amount of product. So your basement LxWxH x changes per hour desired = the cubic feet per minute required (CFM)
Once this is known a fan is selected on performance, economy, electric service, sound rating, location and cost.

o
Oh forgot

What is exhausted out must be replaced, in this case with filtered & conditioned air.

It may make you rethink any mass refinishing in the basement

o

zl700,
Your formula should be divided by 60 to give CFM. As is, it calculates cubic feet per hour.

o

Your right, I usually go with CFH, but for ease of fan selection went with CFM to explain easier and forgot the division, thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here