Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
craftsman gdo sprocket gear and motor repair

Posted by glennb_2010 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 22, 10 at 18:33

Looking for help.
I replaced the sprocket and removed the motor assembly. I took off the old bushings and worm gear. I put on the new worm gear and bushings on the motor shaft. I can bearly turn the motor shaft by hand.
Is this ok? I don't want to put it all back up and together and find the shaft is too tight to turn. Or will it be fine with the 1/2 HP.
Please advise.
Thanks...Glenn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: craftsman gdo sprocket gear and motor repair

The motor should not be that difficult to turn. I would loosen the worm gear and bushings just a bit and check but they need to be fairly tight. Maybe the bearings are going bad.

o
RE: craftsman gdo sprocket gear and motor repair

Hey home owners. Hire a Pro. We make it sound easy because we've done it a hundred times and we have all the right tools. There are a lot a variables that cause the gears to wear out. If you hire a pro they can fix the opener and make sure everything else is working properly so you get the longest life out of your new gear. Homeowners are always having problems with the openers after they try to fix them because the main gear drive may just be a symtom of a problem and not the main problem. A lot of times a mom and pop type door guy is your best bet because they deal with service more, not just new construction so they see these problems every day. Know you limits when it comes to DIY.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here