Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pontiac Grand Prix Blown Head Gasket?

Posted by tina_2010 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 20, 10 at 17:10

I have a 99 grand prix.3800. Last year i hit a deer and replaced the radiator, it was still running rough the low coolant light was coming on too ofetn . I would add coolant, we replaced the water pump. The low coolant light continues to come on, I have noticed coolant on my engine block real close to where the water pump is. I also am having to add coolant . When i check to see if my oil is milky it isnt.???!!!! I am figurning its a gasket but want to know how to tell if thats what it is. There is no overheating either. Just low coolant light and having to add coolant .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pontiac Grand Prix Blown Head Gasket?

open the radiator or coolant overflow tank, start the car and watch for any bubbles. A blown head gasket will often push exhaust gases into the coolant causing bubbles.

o

Could be a blown intake gasket. Very common on the 3800. Its expensive either way.

o

check the plastic coolant elbow right above the waterpump. very common for them to leak. there are usually 2 of them. almost all parts stores have them since they leak so often. i just changed mine and also saw the waterpump had a noisy bearing but that just meant i fixed 2 things. the elbows are $5. but a shop might want several hundred for labor.

o

this design motor routes the coolant thru the alternator mounting bracket using these coolant elbows. you do not have to remove the bracket to change the waterpump but it makes it much easier. there is a small chance whoever changed your waterpupmp may not of removed the bracket. maybe the elbow was good to begin with and the elbow is now cracked and leaking. hard to say. but its a good place to start.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here