Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fold down workbench

Posted by don_ (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 30, 06 at 16:49

I am trying to get ideas or plans for a workbench that will fold up against the wall when not in use. I have a two car garage that is none to wide. I would appreciate any ideas. Don

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fold down workbench

I have seen foldup tables in woodworking magazines made out of solid core doors. The hinges were mounted to the wall in the studs and had fold down legs when the table was pulled out from the wall. I will try to find a picture of the table.

CB

o

Don,

You may want to check some aspects of this workbench:
http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/articles/200212/fixit/main.html

Best,
/venkat

o

Thanks to both of you. I am still working on dimensions. I think I may have to get smaller cars.

o

Food for thought...

I needed a workbench too for that would store away too.

I just picked up a B&D Workmate (425?). Folds nicely, lightweight - yet easy enough to carry and load or unload into a car.

For a larger worksurface (when needed), I am using a 32x60 3/4" plywood with a 2x4 cleat screwed to the bottom. This cleat locks into the built-in clamp on the workmate perfectly.

Also put a piece of hardboard over the top of the plywood so when that gets ruined, it only costs 7.50 for a new piece of hardboard. Plywood and 2x4 should never need replacing.

As a result, 2 worksurfaces, completely portable and modular.

Just thought I'd share.

Did the whole project for about $85 - $90.00

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here