Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harleysweetie4

Is there a limit to the number of remotes???

harleysweetie4
17 years ago

We have a Craftsman 1/2 HP gdo, model number 139.53663SRT2. Does anyone know if there is a limit on the number or remotes that can be used on this model? We've called the number on the unit and they couldn't even tell us. We now have 5 remotes, but can only get 4 remotes to work at a time. Reading other messages I've found that each system has memory slots...are there only 4 memory slots?? I would really prefer to not go back to opening and closing the door by the keypad (especially in the rain!)!!! HELP!!!!

Comments (12)

• don_1_2006
    17 years ago

There is a limit to the number of remotes you can program. I am curious. Why do you need 5 remotes to open 1 door?

• don_1_2006
    17 years ago

I am trying to find the answer. I will post back as soon as I can.

• don_1_2006
    17 years ago

I contacted the manufacturer and they have an agreement with Sears that they will only help with problems on openers that are less than 90 days old. I can't get the answer you need.

• over_n_under
    17 years ago

If there is a limit, this one totally baffles me. The remote communicates to the opener. The opener does not communicate back to the remote. If my remote breaks and I buy a new one, the opener does not 'know' the other one is out of commission. I have had two remotes fail and am on my second two remotes now. I also have a keyless entry pad, which is essentially a remote. That now makes number 5. Now that I think of it, I no longer use one of the remotes because I programmed the internal remote that is built into the car, so now I'm at number 6. Maybe it is a Craftsman thing, but my Stanley garage door opener continues to work just fine, even though I am 'over the limit.'

• over_n_under
    17 years ago

Okay, I stand corrected. My opener is about 12 years old, so it must not have this security 'feature' built into it. I saw a Frequently Asked Questions section for Westinghouse Garage Door Openers ('didn't even know Westinghouse made GDO's) and they have a limit of 15 openers that can be programmed at any one time.

• harleysweetie4
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This is absolutely ridiculous. I can't believe that they won't answer a simple question like this! I don't have a problem with my remote or my opener...I only want to know how many I can use with it at once and they can't even answer that. Ridiculous. Never again will I buy a GDO from Craftsman. Thank you for trying to help guys.

• doorguy06
    17 years ago

harleysweete4,

I too do not know exactly how many you can program, I know it is more than four because I have had to program five plus a key pad to an opener once. Try erasing your memory by holding in the learn button until the little light goes out next to it. Then try reprogramming everthing and see if it works.

By the way every opener you buy today is going to have limit on how many remotes can be programed.

• harleysweetie4
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We've tried erasing the memory....we've programmed all the remotes from scratch at the same time and 1 always gets kicked off. I know that every opener has a limit, but you would think that that kind of information would be made more readily available if someone needed to know. They want to give me a song and dance about sending out a technician when all I want is a numerical answer. sad... Thanks though :)

• someone_yahoo_com
    17 years ago

5 cars to one house??
    Have you ever heard of car pooling?
    No wonder why we have such bad air polution because of people like you!

• doorguy06
    17 years ago

Posted by none(someone@yahoo.com) on Thu, Feb 15, 07 at 12:53

5 cars to one house??
    Have you ever heard of car pooling?
    No wonder why we have such bad air polution because of people like you!

Go back in your bubble and keep your mouth shut.

Doorguy

• Paul Mckinney
    7 years ago

Same problem Although I only have for the fifth always gets kicked off