Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman garage door opener 1/2 hp w/n close when cold

Posted by dwight82 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 31, 10 at 13:58

I have a Craftsman 1/2 hp screw drive opener that is about 5 yrs old. For the past couple of years now I have problems with it closing the door when it gets cold (<~40f). Works great when it is warm outside. I have tried adjusting the down travel and force controls extensively, and occasionally get the door to stay down about 4-6 inches from the bottom, but as soon as the temperature changes even slightly, the door will not close again after opening (it may close a couple of inches then pop back open, or it may close almost all the way before going back up). The sensors are aligned and there are no fault codes blinking on the unit. It seems to be a temperature related problem in some way. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman garage door opener 1/2 hp w/n close when cold

I've seen something similar. Clean and lube the tracks and rollers. If that doesn't do it, it's probably a wear or internal lubrication issue.

o
RE: Craftsman garage door opener 1/2 hp w/n close when cold

Thanks creek side. It wasn't the door as I could open and close it easily with one hand with no binding. I took down the motor unit and brought it inside to my work bench, tore it apart screw by screw and connector by connector, and gave it a good cleaning. Put it back together and hooked everything up - works perfectly now! I think it must have been oxidation on some of the internal connectors, or it could just be that taking everything down loosened up something that may have been binding a little on the screw drive. Now I'll just have to wait to see how it works in the summer...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here